How to find your lost iPhone and erase data remotely
Lost your iPhone? Don’t know how to find it or erase its data before it falls into the hands of a bad actor? Apple’s Find My iPhone is easy to use and comes in handy if your iPhone goes missing. It allows you to view the location of your lost or stolen iPhone, play a sound on the phone to help you find it or alert others nearby, mark the iPhone as lost to lock it remotely in order to protect data and erase all data on iPhone if needed.
To activate all the functions mentioned above, you must activate Find My on your iPhone first.
How to activate Find My iPhone
Click on the Apple ID menu. This is the first tab you’ll see on the Settings screen, just below the search bar.
Click on Find my option. This should be the third option after iCloud and Media and purchasing.
Click on Find my iphone option. Activate the options for Find my iphone, Find my network (to locate your iPhone even if it is offline), and Send last position (automatically send your iPhone location to Apple when the battery is very low).
Once these are done, you are ready to find your iPhone in case it goes missing. To find the location of your lost iPhone or erase data, log into icloud.com/find.
How to view lost iPhone on a map
- On the link above, once you sign in using your Apple ID and password through any browser, it should automatically start locating your iPhone.
- Within seconds, your iPhone’s location should appear on an onscreen map.
- If the device is seen located in an unknown area, readers are warned not to attempt to retrieve their iPhone themselves, and instead contact law enforcement – who may ask for the serial number or IMEI code. of your device. here’s how find the serial number of your device.
How to play sound on your lost iPhone
- Once your phone is located, you will be able to see a All devices at the top of the map. Click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, select your lost iPhone model (your phone name should appear here).
- Now a floating box should appear in the upper right corner of the screen. This should show a photo of your iPhone, phone name, remaining battery, etc.
- Click on the Play sound button. This will make your iPhone vibrate and beep which gradually gets louder whether your phone is on silent or not. This feature is especially handy when you misplace your iPhone in a nearby or nearby room and can’t see where you kept it. You can follow the beep and find it. You will need to unlock your phone to stop the sound.
How to mark your iPhone as lost
- From the floating window, click on the Lost mode button.
- You will be asked to enter an optional phone number where you can be reached. This number will be displayed on your lost iPhone. You will also be asked to enter a personalized message which will also display on your iPhone. Note that these steps are optional. Lost Mode will automatically lock your iPhone with a password to ensure that all the data in it is secure.
- Click on Made.
How to erase data from your lost iPhone
- From the floating window, click on the Erase iphone button.
- A pop-up message will ask for your confirmation. Please note that this permission will remove all content and settings from your iPhone. An erased iPhone cannot be tracked or located.
- Click on Wipe off.
The iPhone 12 Pro series is amazing, but why is it so expensive in India? We discussed it on Orbital, our weekly tech podcast, to which you can subscribe via Apple podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download episode, or just hit the play button below.